Although an aging human, Nebula is well-built, with a broad chest and shoulders. He has dark tan skin, a large chin, and possesses a gray mustache, complete with gray eyebrows and hair. His mustache occasionally mirrors his mood by curling or prickling whenever he is agitated. His left leg was cut off at the knee at some unknown point, and has been replaced by a peg leg which doubles as a plasma cannon. He wears a green and white spacesuit with a golden Star Command logo on the chest and also wears a purple headcap like Buzz.
Sometime in the past, possibly before Nebula became the Commander, he assumed the role of undercover bounty hunter Shiv Katall, and smuggled defecting minions from Evil Emperor Zurg into the Galactic Alliance. However, he later passed on the role to Buzz Lightyear, though whether it was due to old age or the loss of his leg is unclear.
Loud, hard-headed and somewhat abrasive, Nebula is known for his gravelly voice and hatred of all things bureaucratic, including paperwork.
He is an excellent commander, as he never orders his Rangers into a situation he would not go into himself. He is not known for tolerance toward insubordination, though he has the grace to admit when he's made a bad call. It's worth mentioning that Nebula can act like a stern father to his Rangers when he needs to, whether it's keeping them out of danger or talking some sense into them.
His peg leg doubles as a plasma cannon.
- "You know what? You two really should be partners. 'CAUSE YOU'RE BOTH PIGHEADED SHOW-OFFS!"
- "I'm not your dad. You were built by the LGMs! For Pete's sake, I only signed the work order!"
- "Who are you kidding? You can't pull it off! You were flawed then and you're flawed now!"
- "It is with a heavy heart that we say, 'Farewell, Buzz Lightyear'. Wherever you are, we know it's a far, far happier place."
- "At ease, there, rookie! You'll short circuit your electrodes."
- "Alright. Eyes and ears, people. We're gonna do a full sweep of Star Command. I'm talking about every inch."
- "Well, what you are waiting for? You want me to serve you milks and cookies? NOW MOVE OUT!!"
- "Huh. Those invention reviews are more borin' than watchin' constellations form."
- "Did I miss any... JUMPING JUPITERS! Must've been one heck of a review."
- "Fantastic. Another paper clip requisition form."
- According to Crumford Lorak, Commander Nebula's left leg was taken out by Shiv Katall. However, because Shiv Katall was originally Nebula in disguise, and because Crumford Lorak is sometimes not the most reliable source of information, this is not likely to be true.
- Nebula likes to eat desserts before dinner.
- Program Manual, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (video game), p.5
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: Behind the Scenes
- "Shiv Katall", Ep. 17. Victor Cook (Director) & Bill Motz, Bob Roth (Story Editors & Writers). Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Disney Enterprises, Inc./Pixar Animation Studios. October 20, 2000.
- "The Slayer", Ep. 26. Steve Loter (Director) & Ken Koonce, Michael Merton (Story Editors & Writers). Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Disney Enterprises, Inc./Pixar Animation Studios. October 31, 2000.