XR is a robotic Space Ranger who was originally created by the LGMs to be Buzz Lightyear's new partner, but wound up becoming a member of Team Lightyear and the first offical robot Ranger in Star Command.
XR is a robot that sports Star Command's colors (purple, green, white) and logo on his chassis. He has a gold/bronze-colored head with yellow optics, encased purple circles and green eyelids. However, sometimes the optics appear green or red depending on his mood. He possesses short arms and legs which can stretch out to any length he wants. He also possesses continuous treads encased in green for feet and purple hands. His head is surrounded by an oval glass dome.
The Xperimental Ranger, or XR for short, was created by the LGMs as the second robot Space Ranger, programmed to learn from one of the best Rangers, Buzz Lightyear. On his first mission, he imitated Buzz repeatedly during their attempt to save the LGM homeworld from the Evil Emperor Zurg's dark forces, and was destroyed by Buzz's old partner in Zurg's employment, Warp Darkmatter (now Agent Z). The LGMs attempted to rebuild him, but the loss of their Uni-Mind to Zurg left them off their game. This gave him a human-like personality, and he was temporarily reassigned as a janitor alongside Booster Munchapper until he eventually joined Buzz's team after helping him save the galaxy from Zurg's Uni-Mind powered mind control machine.
Originally XR was obedient, imitating all Buzz's actions to learn how to act as a ranger. However, after his reprogramming he developed a huge ego and sarcastic humour.
Despite having great intelligence typical of any robot, XR's personality is as childish as Booster's via the fact that he tends to crack jokes at the worst times in most episodes. He also gets cocky after a single success, yet fearful after he can't repeat the same success twice.
Despite being created by the LGMs, XR believes that Commander Nebula is his father on account of his signature (and initials) on the paperwork during his project stage is what allowed his creators to give him life, and tends to point that out much to the commander's annoyance, and the confusion/disturbance of his teammates, especially Buzz Lightyear himself.
He possesses deep hatred and anger against the Vulturans, due to their scavenging behavior upon spaceships, space stations and, most disturbingly, robots.
He's also quite the money-hungry robot. It's unknown why he loves money so much, but the little guy has quite the greed for cash: he'll do whatever he can to make money with get-rich-quick schemes.
He's also known for chasing after pretty girls however he can.
As a robot, XR has many abilities, including flight with a jetpack. He can pull out multiple guns from his back and hands, and also has one big gun in his chest. His chest compartment can hold a wide variety of items, some of them nonsensical. He has many other features such as a built-in stove, a jamming signal, and others. He has the ability to be rebuilt after any damage he receives, either by the LGMs that built him or via self-repair systems, depending on severity.
- "XR reporting for duty."
- "You know, the guy's supposed to be some kind of evil genius, and the best he can come up with is a ventriloquist act. What's next, evil juggling?"
- "Yeah, Zurg's probably going, (imitates Zurg) 'How can I destroy the universe without my pen?!'"
- "One thing I can't stand is gambling! I'll lay you seven to one odds there's no more poker after tonight."
- "As you know, normally I'm not one to panic, primarily because Buzz always comes to the rescue. But we're currently fighting Buzz, so who's coming to the rescue?"
- "Yeah, but, it's dangerous out there. One false move and someone could be blown to bits - maybe me!"
- XR was mentioned in a 2010 "Free Comic Book Day" Toy Story comic, "The Return of Buzz Lightyear: Part One".
- According to XR, he failed to pass a certification test for the laser drill aboard Team Lightyear's ship due to spelling errors and neatness in "Sunquake", and in "Gravitina", Buzz is annoyed that XR sent Gravitina the love letter without letting him proofread it. This may prove that XR is not the best at spelling, especially as in "The Return of XL", he misspells "au revoir" as "au revior".
- XR is the only character other than Buzz Lightyear to appear in every episode of the series.
- A running gag in the series is XR constantly being blown up but he is always re-built.
- XR keeps a diary, according to the episode, "Speed Trap".
- He also seems to like hair care products, as stated by Buzz in "Inside Job".
- He has flirted/attempted to flirt with Sally, Ozma Furbanna, Bonnie Lepton, and 42.
- Attack of the Energy Vampire
- Blast Off!
- Buzz vs. Torque: One-On-One
- The Good, the Bad, and the Robotic
- Infinity and Beyond
- Meet the Space Rangers
- Space Action!
- Speed Trap
- Team Lightyear
- Trapped in Time